Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award Program
The Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award program is a statewide reading motivation program for students in
The program, co-sponsored by the School Media Services Office of the Department of education ad the Florida Association for Media Education (FAME), began in 1983.
The Purpose of the Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award Program are:
- to encourage students to read for personal satisfaction
- to help students in understanding , relating to, and enjoying life through experiences with literature
- to help students become discriminating readers in their personal selection of books
- to develop an awareness of outstanding literature for children and young people
- to encourage cooperation among administrators, library media specialists, and teachers in broadening reading experiences
- to give recognition to those who write books for children and young people
Saint Stephen’s students in grades 3, 4, 5 and 6 are invited to read as many of the Sunshine State recommended novels as they wish. Children who read at least 5 books from this annual list, then pass the accompanying Accelerated Reader test, may be invited to attend our annual voting party.
The 2016-2017 Elementary and Middle School SSYRA Lists are available for viewing.