Lower School Aftercare
The Lower School 2018-19 Aftercare program provides after school supervision for Fledgling/Pre-K to Third grade students at Saint Stephen’s Episcopal School. Aftercare affords students both free and constructive play with other children, providing many opportunities for social interaction. In order to accommodate our busy Saint Stephen’s families, students also work on homework assigned by their teacher. This aftercare study time is great for students who may need a little extra tutoring with the help of our experienced Aftercare teaching staff. You’re child will also be served a healthy snack that changes daily.
- Aftercare is available from 3:00 p.m. and ends at 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday on regular school days. Please refer to the "Dates to Know" section for special dates when aftercare will not be available.
- Aftercare is located in the Fledgling Building, on the Lower School grounds.
- Please inform your child’s teacher at the beginning of the school year if you plan on utilizing the Saint Stephen’s aftercare program.
- Aftercare is also a great resource for those unexpected delays in your day and aftercare services are available even without prior notification.
- For the safety of our students, those not picked up by 3:00 will be placed automatically in aftercare and parents will be billed.
- Aftercare CELL PHONE # 941.737.6398, please put this number in your phone. If you need to reach us for any reason, we carry the cell phone with us at all times from 3:00 until closing at 5:30.
- All students’ medical and personal information will be accessed from the school’s resource forms that you have already filled out.
- Students are asked not to bring games or electronic devices to aftercare unless special arrangements are made with aftercare staff.
- Leslie DeZiel - Aftercare Director, Art Teacher IS/MS
(941) 746.2121 x1114
- Lee Ann Pritchett - 3rd Grade Teacher
- Emily Johnson - Young Life Director
- Marley Gordon - 2nd Year of Aftercare
- Logan Altman - Future Teacher
- Caitlyn Walz - Future Nurse
Fees and Billing:
Aftercare closes at 5:30
- The fee is $5.00 per child per day for the first half hour from 3:00 up until 3:30
- The fee is $10.00 from 3:00 – 4:00
- The full fee is $17.00 per child per day from 3:00 up until 5:30
- A late fee of $1.00 will be charged for every minute past 5:30 p.m.
- Saint Stephen’s will send a monthly bill.
- We take your child’s physical and emotional safety very seriously. We want our students to have fun. However, since our students range from four to ten years of age, we have strong guidelines for inside and outside behavior.
- We also have important safety procedures in place, such as the Parent Sign Out sheet and the aftercare cell phone (941.737.6398), which is with the aftercare staff at all times.
- Many of our students participate in activities after school (tennis, cheerleading, volleyball, piano, yoga, wrestling, the all-school play, etc.). Aftercare staff will not be available to walk students to and from these activities. Therefore, any child that comes to aftercare and plans to participate in an after school activity must have prior arrangements with an adult, teacher, or an older student to walk him or her to and from the activity. This must be arranged before the child arrives at aftercare that day.
- All parents, guardians, or authorized adults must wear the Saint Stephen’s identification name tag or provide a photo I.D. (driver’s license) when picking up a student.
- Every student must be signed out by a parent or authorized adult before leaving.
- Once your child is signed out for the day, students are not permitted to stay at aftercare or on the playground.
- If a person is picking up your child that is not listed on the resource file, please call the Aftercare cell phone (941.737.6398)or Leslie DeZiel’s cell #941.773.5413
- If aftercare is outside on the playground when you come to pick up your child, please accompany your child to the aftercare building to retrieve his or her backpack.
Dates to Know:
(Aftercare is in the Fledgling Building)
The first day of aftercare is Tuesday August 22, 2018
There will be no Lower School Aftercare on the following dates:
- Friday October 12 & Monday October 15 – College Weekend
- Wednesday October 24 – Student Conference Day
- Friday November 16 – Grandparent’s Day Early Dismissal
- Thursday December 20 - Early Dismissal for Holiday Break
- Monday January 21 – Martin Luther King Day
- Monday & Tuesday Feb. 18 & 19 – College Weekend
- Wednesday March 20 - Student Conference Day
- Mon – Fri March 25-29 – Spring Break
- Friday April 19 – Good Friday
* Tuesday May 28, 2019 is the last day of Aftercare for the year
Daily Aftercare Schedule:
- Aftercare provides students with a healthy snack free from any trans fat, high fructose corn syrup, or added sugar.
- Students will not be permitted to eat snacks brought from home, unless they have certain allergies.
- If your child has any allergies or special instructions, please contact Leslie DeZiel with those details.
- Aftercare provides time and assistance for students to work on homework.
- Students that do not complete homework during the allotted time will need to finish their work at home.
- All students in First to Third grade will be asked to work on his or her homework during aftercare unless otherwise specified by the parent.
- Special projects will need to be done at home.
- It is ultimately up to the student to complete homework for the next day.
- Aftercare students in need of tutoring or any other services must have prior arrangements for the specialist to pick up and drop off the student during aftercare.
- After homework time, students have the opportunity to engage in a variety of cooperative games, and team building activities or return to the play ground.
- All Fledgling/PK and Kindergarten students participate in inside/outside play while the older students work on homework. Aftercare provides many different activities for our youngest Saint Stephen’s students: toys, puzzles, games, drawing and coloring, puppets, lego building etc.
- All students have a chance to play outside; weather permitting, on the Fledgling enclosed playground, once homework is done.